Piano Music Sheet Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

USB vs Firewire

Go down

USB vs Firewire Empty USB vs Firewire

Post by andrewmoquin Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:12 am

I would like to start doing some home recording. As I understand it I need to purchase an audio interface. After doing some research about this it seems like there are two major types of interfaces: USB and Firewire (I have also seen PCI mentioned, please feel free to share anything you know). My initial understanding is that Firewire seems to be the most preferred. However, I am not sure if thats true, and if so why.

Could someone explain to me whether either USB or Firewire is superior to the other for audio recording, and if so why? I have heard that USB transfers data in spurts, and can't always maintain its advertised speed. That doesn't seem ideal for recording audio. However maybe their isn't a difference.

Any help is greatly appreciated. The type of interface I buy will determine the Mac laptop I buy. I would like to get a MacBook, but they don't have Firewire. If Firewire is definitely necessary then I will pay more for a MB Pro, but I would like to know for sure first.

Thank you!
USB vs Firewire Sweet%20piano
“To stop the flow of music would be like the stopping of time itself, incredible and inconceivable.”
“Marriage is a three ring circus: engagement rings , wedding rings and sufferings.”
andrewmoquin
andrewmoquin
Easy
Easy

Male
Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2009-06-18

http://www.rokstok.com

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum